“You forget where you are when you are here.” – Kathy Rayner
Yesterday, I shared one of the most original homes I have ever experienced. Click HERE to read the first part of the background of this bohemian gem. The main house of Kathy and the late Billy Rayner’s Palm Beach compound is a modest one bedroom home. Tiny guesthouses posing as”potting sheds” are scattered throughout the property connected by serpentine paths in the lush tropical landscape. I think the best interiors are always constantly evolving. These interiors perfectly reflect that concept showcasing items accumulated from their travels through North Africa and the Near East.
Once in a blue moon, I experience a house that makes me weak in the knees. It is the kind of emotional response that one has to a great work of art or experiencing a heavenly moment in nature. I was fortunate enough to visit this beauty last winter on an architectural tour in Palm Beach. What started as a non-descript ranch was transformed into an exotic compound in a tropical garden by architectural genius Peter Marino. I had first read about this property in the book Palm Beach Chic by Jennifer Ash Rudick. I was instantly enchanted by the home of Kathy and the late Billy Rayner. Images do not do this magical oasis justice…Enjoy the tour!
“We’re thrilled to introduce an excellent selection of Trina Turk and Mr Turk to friends of the brand, and newcomers alike. We’ve been treated to Charlotte’s southern hospitality, and we look forward to reciprocating at our new boutique.” -Trina Turk
We have been devoted fans of Trina Turk long before her visit to Charlotte in 2012 as our guest of honor for the Mint Museum Auxiliary’s Fall EnrichMint Forum. Ever since that visit where Trina and her husband Jonathan Skow (aka Mr. Turk) charmed everyone with their fashions and passion for architecture and and design, we have hoped they would open a boutique here in the Queen City. To our delight, that wish is coming true this summer and we have the pleasure of collaborating with them to design their new boutique. See below for the inspiration behind the design….and come visit the boutique opening August 1st at Southpark.
ONLY A FEW TICKETS LEFT TO THE ART PARTY OF THE SEASON THIS SATURDAY!
SATURDAY, MAY 19
MCCOLL CENTER FOR ART + INNOVATION
UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA
It is hard to believe this is the closing weekend of the Southeastern Showhouse & Gardens presented by Atlanta Home and Lifestyles Magazine. Many thanks to all who have come to see the showhouse filled with so much amazing talent. I will be at the house tomorrow from 1-4 for the final day for anyone who wants to pop in to say hello!
I have had many inquiries about items available in our space. Showhouses provide an amazing source to get incredible high end pieces, custom furniture, art and antiques…many of which are priced well below what they would sell for on the showroom floor. So, if you see something that catches your eye, make sure to look at the price list in each room to see what is still available. You might find the perfect Mother’s Day gift!
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” -Pablo Picasso
I think original art is one of the MOST important design elements in an interior. It reveals the personality of the inhabitant, elevates the other surrounding items, and adds a magical dimension to any room. Working on the art for the Southeastern Showhouse was a dream come true. Two of my favorite artists, Brad Thomas and Alexis Walter created works specifically for my spaces and my favorite Charlotte galleries, The New Gallery of Modern Art, Hidell Brooks Gallery, and SOCO Gallery allowed me to curate my own dream installation from the artists they represent, many of whom have become friends. The majority of works are by Southern contemporary artists with a nod to my NYC days represented by Stephanie Hirsch and Scott Duce seen below. By playing with scale, unifying colors, and juxtaposing different mediums, I tried to create harmonious compositions throughout the spaces.
We are delighted to be participating in the Southeastern Designer Showhouse & Gardens which opens this week! Not only am I glad to have a reason to spend more time in my hometown, but I am also beyond excited to spend time with so many other favorite design friends that are also designing spaces in this year’s showhouse. Atlanta is at her finest during April and May. When I first began contemplating the design scheme for our rooms, I wanted to incorporate the glorious spring shades that reveal themselves each week a new flower or tree begins to bloom. For the past several weeks, we have been feverishly working to pull together our bedroom, bathroom, and hallway that all began with this spring palette…
I wanted to create a fantasy bedroom where I would look forward to waking up each morning surrounded by everything I love. I am a colorist at heart…color energizes me, comforts me, and evokes joy for me. The palette was inspired by some of my fondest travel memories of the past year. I kept coming back to certain images I had taken where the indescribable colors stayed with me. I was continually drawn to the combination of spring green with shades of lilac and orchid.
FEAR, LUCK, FATE, WORK, FORTUNE , 2017
To enter the world of artist Anne Lemanski is literally like falling down the rabbit hole of creativity. She is wickedly funny, wickedly smart, and wickedly talented. Her works are not only impeccably constructed with layers of various materials, but they are also layered with meaning. This brilliant combination has garnered her accolades in a plethora of solo exhibitions and private and public collections around the country. Charlotte art lovers were lucky enough to get a first look at her new work at her exhibition “Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit” at SOCO Gallery open through March 16th.
- HOUSE TOUR: HAUTE BOHEMIAN IN PALM BEACH (PART TWO)
- HOUSE TOUR: HAUTE BOHEMIAN IN PALM BEACH (PART ONE)
- BEHIND THE DESIGNS: TRINA TURK AND MR. TURK RETURN TO CHARLOTTE
- YOU’RE INVITED: STUDIO PARTY AT THE MCCOLL CENTER FOR ART + INNOVATION
- FINAL CALL: ATLANTA HOME & LIFESTYLES SOUTHEASTERN SHOWHOUSE CLOSING WEEKEND AND SALE
- ART WITH HEART: ATLANTA HOME & LIFESTYLES SOUTHEASTERN DESIGNER SHOWHOUSE & GARDENS
- ATLANTA HOME AND LIFESTYLES: 2018 SOUTHEASTERN DESIGNER SHOWHOUSE & GARDENS
- CREATIVE MINDS: ANNE LEMANSKI “RABBIT RABBIT RABBIT” AT SOCO GALLERY
- COASTAL LIVING: VIEW WITH A ROOM BY CATHERINE M. AUSTIN INTERIOR DESIGN
- CREATIVE MINDS: DIVINE DESIGNS WITH DANIELLE ROLLINS
- CREATIVE MINDS: BRAD THOMAS “HOLD THESE TRUTHS” AT SOCO GALLERY
- GOODBYE 2017!
- JOYEUX NOËL
- KIPS BAY PALM BEACH SHOWHOUSE 2017
- ATLANTA HOME & LIFESTYLES’ HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS SHOWHOUSE (PART TWO)
- ATLANTA HOME & LIFESTYLES’ HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS SHOWHOUSE (PART ONE)
- TRADITIONAL HOME’S 2017 SOUTHERN STYLE NOW DESIGNER SHOWHOUSE IN SAVANNAH
- FLOWER POWER: THE SAN FRANCISCO FALL ART & ANTIQUES SHOW
- ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST VISITS THE ART-FILLED HOME OF KAWS ARTIST BRIAN DONNELLY
- KAREN KNORR: INDIA SONG & METAMORPHOSES AT JACKSON FINE ART
- STEP INSIDE POPPY DELAVIGNE’S LONDON HOME VIA ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST
- MISSING MARRAKECH: THE BRILLIANT BILL WILLIS
- ANTHROSCENERY: AURORA ROBSON AT THE NEW GALLERY OF MODERN ART
- GIO_GRAPHY: GIOVANNA BATTAGLIA AT BERGDORF GOODMAN
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL AT THE DANIEL STOWE BOTANICAL GARDEN