ONLY A FEW TICKETS LEFT TO THE ART PARTY OF THE SEASON THIS SATURDAY!
SATURDAY, MAY 19
MCCOLL CENTER FOR ART + INNOVATION
UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA
It is hard to believe this is the closing weekend of the Southeastern Showhouse & Gardens presented by Atlanta Home and Lifestyles Magazine. Many thanks to all who have come to see the showhouse filled with so much amazing talent. I will be at the house tomorrow from 1-4 for the final day for anyone who wants to pop in to say hello!
I have had many inquiries about items available in our space. Showhouses provide an amazing source to get incredible high end pieces, custom furniture, art and antiques…many of which are priced well below what they would sell for on the showroom floor. So, if you see something that catches your eye, make sure to look at the price list in each room to see what is still available. You might find the perfect Mother’s Day gift!
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” -Pablo Picasso
I think original art is one of the MOST important design elements in an interior. It reveals the personality of the inhabitant, elevates the other surrounding items, and adds a magical dimension to any room. Working on the art for the Southeastern Showhouse was a dream come true. Two of my favorite artists, Brad Thomas and Alexis Walter created works specifically for my spaces and my favorite Charlotte galleries, The New Gallery of Modern Art, Hidell Brooks Gallery, and SOCO Gallery allowed me to curate my own dream installation from the artists they represent, many of whom have become friends. The majority of works are by Southern contemporary artists with a nod to my NYC days represented by Stephanie Hirsch and Scott Duce seen below. By playing with scale, unifying colors, and juxtaposing different mediums, I tried to create harmonious compositions throughout the spaces.
We are delighted to be participating in the Southeastern Designer Showhouse & Gardens which opens this week! Not only am I glad to have a reason to spend more time in my hometown, but I am also beyond excited to spend time with so many other favorite design friends that are also designing spaces in this year’s showhouse. Atlanta is at her finest during April and May. When I first began contemplating the design scheme for our rooms, I wanted to incorporate the glorious spring shades that reveal themselves each week a new flower or tree begins to bloom. For the past several weeks, we have been feverishly working to pull together our bedroom, bathroom, and hallway that all began with this spring palette…
I wanted to create a fantasy bedroom where I would look forward to waking up each morning surrounded by everything I love. I am a colorist at heart…color energizes me, comforts me, and evokes joy for me. The palette was inspired by some of my fondest travel memories of the past year. I kept coming back to certain images I had taken where the indescribable colors stayed with me. I was continually drawn to the combination of spring green with shades of lilac and orchid.
FEAR, LUCK, FATE, WORK, FORTUNE , 2017
To enter the world of artist Anne Lemanski is literally like falling down the rabbit hole of creativity. She is wickedly funny, wickedly smart, and wickedly talented. Her works are not only impeccably constructed with layers of various materials, but they are also layered with meaning. This brilliant combination has garnered her accolades in a plethora of solo exhibitions and private and public collections around the country. Charlotte art lovers were lucky enough to get a first look at her new work at her exhibition “Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit” at SOCO Gallery open through March 16th.
“Be daring. Be different. Be impractical. Be anything that will assert the integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” – Cecil Beaton
Please join Jane Schwab and me for a trunk show this Thursday, February 8th revealing the beautiful creations of Danielle Rollins benefiting the Levine Children’s Hospital. Her new capsule collection has been a labor of love for Danielle using glorious fabrics ranging from colorful Liberty of London cottons to exquisite floral warp taffetas and a collaboration with Brunschwig and Fils. Danielle has taken great lengths to make sure the impeccably tailored clothes can be worn in many ways from day to night…perfect for upcoming Spring Galas or Spring Break!
I think of Danielle as the quintessential “steel magnolia.” She has overcome much adversity by combating it with beauty through interior design, entertaining, and now through her new fashion line. I had the pleasure of interviewing Danielle several years ago and have reposted it again below. I am so proud of how far she has come making her dreams come true! Enjoy getting to know Danielle and please join us on Thursday to see the beautiful clothes in person…
Brad Thomas is a creative force of many talents…Artist, Curator, Teacher, Mentor, and Art Advisor just to name a few. His highly anticipated exhibition at SOCO Gallery this month welcomes the North Carolina native back to Charlotte revealing a new direction in his work.
I met Brad when he was the curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at the Mint Museum working together on acquisitions. Through the years, Brad has become a trusted friend and colleague that I look to for art advice for clients and collectors. His layered and complex abstract works are a combination of painting, drawing, words, collage, and sculpture that slowly reveal details the more the viewer engages with the works.
- YOU’RE INVITED: STUDIO PARTY AT THE MCCOLL CENTER FOR ART + INNOVATION
- FINAL CALL: ATLANTA HOME & LIFESTYLES SOUTHEASTERN SHOWHOUSE CLOSING WEEKEND AND SALE
- ART WITH HEART: ATLANTA HOME & LIFESTYLES SOUTHEASTERN DESIGNER SHOWHOUSE & GARDENS
- ATLANTA HOME AND LIFESTYLES: 2018 SOUTHEASTERN DESIGNER SHOWHOUSE & GARDENS
- CREATIVE MINDS: ANNE LEMANSKI “RABBIT RABBIT RABBIT” AT SOCO GALLERY
- COASTAL LIVING: VIEW WITH A ROOM BY CATHERINE M. AUSTIN INTERIOR DESIGN
- CREATIVE MINDS: DIVINE DESIGNS WITH DANIELLE ROLLINS
- CREATIVE MINDS: BRAD THOMAS “HOLD THESE TRUTHS” AT SOCO GALLERY
- GOODBYE 2017!
- JOYEUX NOËL
- KIPS BAY PALM BEACH SHOWHOUSE 2017
- ATLANTA HOME & LIFESTYLES’ HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS SHOWHOUSE (PART TWO)
- ATLANTA HOME & LIFESTYLES’ HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS SHOWHOUSE (PART ONE)
- TRADITIONAL HOME’S 2017 SOUTHERN STYLE NOW DESIGNER SHOWHOUSE IN SAVANNAH
- FLOWER POWER: THE SAN FRANCISCO FALL ART & ANTIQUES SHOW
- ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST VISITS THE ART-FILLED HOME OF KAWS ARTIST BRIAN DONNELLY
- KAREN KNORR: INDIA SONG & METAMORPHOSES AT JACKSON FINE ART
- STEP INSIDE POPPY DELAVIGNE’S LONDON HOME VIA ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST
- MISSING MARRAKECH: THE BRILLIANT BILL WILLIS
- ANTHROSCENERY: AURORA ROBSON AT THE NEW GALLERY OF MODERN ART
- GIO_GRAPHY: GIOVANNA BATTAGLIA AT BERGDORF GOODMAN
- CHINESE LANTERN FESTIVAL AT THE DANIEL STOWE BOTANICAL GARDEN
- COLOR ME HAPPY: THE TECHNICOLORED WORLD OF CHRISTINA JUAREZ
- TORY BURCH TAKES AD INSIDE HER SOUTHAMPTON HOME
- ART OF THE INTERIOR: MARIANNE BOESKY AT HOME