MARKET READY: CATHERINE M. AUSTIN INTERIOR DESIGN IN OCTOBER TRADITIONAL HOME
Participating in the Traditional Home / Junior League of High Point Showhouse in April was one of the most gratifying experiences I have had in my career. I The creativity and camaraderie of the design community blew me away and seeing it in print brings back a flood of fond memories! We have all been anxiously awaiting the October issue to share all of our hard work for a wonderful cause…benefiting the Junior League’s community programming for High Point. Thank you to all of the gracious editors at Traditional Home, the countless volunteers from the Junior League and the amazing sponsors that brought our visions to life! Click here to read the full story and see the complete portfolio of images.
DAUGHTER’S BEDROOM BY CATHY AUSTIN BY CLARA HANEBERG
The final stop on the second floor is Cathy Austin’s beautiful daughter’s bedroom. Blessed with great bones—note the 10 1/2-foot ceilings and swoonworthy windows—the space is impeccably tailored from head to toe. Shaped valances mimic the Moroccan scalloping on the patterned headboard.
Circa Lighting’s brass orb chandelier and the pillows’ chopstick monogram reiterate the room’s Eastern influence. Overhead, Pratt & Lambert’s pale-pink paint in high-gloss finish complements the vintage Murano glass lamp on the bedside table. A tufted-velvet bench with Lucite legs and an antique English settee updated in sumptuous animal print round out the dazzling sanctuary.
There’s a lot to love in these beautiful showhouse bedrooms…click on the image below for a video tour of the spaces.
Interior designer: Cathy Austin, Catherine M. Austin Interior Design, 3300 Stanwyck Court, Charlotte, NC 28211; 704/517-8622, catherinemaustin.com.
I envisioned my “imaginary” client as the sophisticated daughter of the family. She is well-travelled, artistic, and likes a modern, yet glamourous room that still reflects her Southern roots. A portrait by favorite artist, Kate Long Stevenson, (from Hidell Brooks Gallery) became my muse for the project. I had her in mind whenever I was making decisions for the space. The portrait and the large vintage abstract provided the color palette that inspired the design scheme. The room is a blend of unique pieces from High Point based craftsmen along with a collection from her travels around the world. A Moroccan inspired headboard, Murano glass lamps, original modern art, bespoke linens, dressmaker detailed drapery, and glamorous materials such as shagreen, agate, brass, and velvet add to the feminine mystique of the space. I indulged myself with an “imaginary” trip around the world for inspiration for the space…from the palaces of Morocco and India to the Murano glass factories and sunsets on the Nayarit Riviera.
BEHIND THE SCENES:
- Wall paint (“Pavanne” #25-26); trim paint (“Ancestral” 320-1); ceiling paint (“Coy Pink” #3-28): Pratt & Lambert, prattandlambert.com.
- Chandelier (“Ceiling Light” #ARN5002, by Aerin): Circa Lighting, circalighting.com.
- Area rug (“Addison”/Headwind #69619): Stanton, stantoncarpet.com.
- Headboard; settee (antique); bench (designed by Cathy Austin): Catherine M. Austin Interior Design, catherinemaustin.com.
- Headboard and dust ruffle fabric (Jaipur”/Pastel #34455-2); settee fabric (“Okapi”/Red #34705-3): Clarence House, clarencehouse.com.
- Bed linens (Ivory Birdseye with Blush Linen); monogram (“Chopstick”): Leontine Linens, leontinelinens.com.
- Drapery, pillow (“Principal” #54357-14): fabricut, fabricut.com.
- Drapery banding (“Mondo”/Zephyr); settee pillow (“Bistro”/Cloud): Norbar Fabrics, norbarfabrics.com.
- Settee pillow applique (“Madame Wu”/Cream): Schumacher, fschumacher.com.
- Bench fabric (linen velvet): Brunschwig & Fils, brunschwig.com.
- Nightstand (“Salon Nightstand” #341-216): Bernhardt, bernhardt.com.
- Etagere (“Jet Set Entrtainment Pier”): Bernhardt, bernhardt.com
- Nightstand lamp: Louise Gaskill Co., louisegaskill.com.
- Vanity: Barbara Barry for Henredon, henredon.com
- Vanity Chair: Cassandra by Celerie Kemble for Henredon, henredon.com
- Vanity lamps: (Bristol Table lamps by Aerin): Circa Lighting, circalighting.com
- Yarn painted Huichol skull: Evoke the Spirit, evokethespirit.com
- Chair fabric: (Versailles velvet # E29606): Kravet, kravet.com
- Watercolor by nightstand (by Bernard Segal): Gillian Bryce/214 Modern Vintage, 214modernvintage.com.
- Portrait: Kate Long Stevenson, Hidell Brooks Gallery, hidellbrooksgallery.com
- Garden Seat, Obelisks, Sculpture, Boxes, Ceramic Figure: Made Goods, madegoods.com
- Flowers: John Lupton
- Drapery: Custom Window Treatment
- Upholstery: Cornerstone Upholstery
- Photography: Dustin Peck